Saturday, November 20, 2010

Response Essay

The topic that I have chosen to write about is Natalie’s essay titled Losing Virginity to the Big Screen’s Lies. Her argument states that due to big budget movies dramatizing sex and one night stands, without displaying any of the consequences, makes promiscuity acceptable in today’s society. Although I agree with the basic complaint and understand where she is coming from I also think there are many movies that show true hardship concerning this problem which audiences can learn from as well. I read quite a few of my classmate’s essays and found Natalie’s entertaining and something that I could counter well, as I found myself creating counter arguments while I read. Although I do agree with her, as I did with most of the essays I read in class, I can think of a well written counter argument that would make for a perfect response essay to her preliminary essay.

 The main point I would like to make in my response essay would be that not all movies promote promiscuity in young adults. Some even teach viewers the consequences of such actions by creating story lines about hard working single mothers, determined single fathers, desperate pregnant teenagers, and depressed HIV patients. These recent and popular movies that present such admirable characters include Waitress, The Pursuit of Happiness, Juno, and Rent along with so many others that teach viewers the value of safe sex. Waitress shows what it’s truly like for a woman to raise a child alone, The Pursuit of Happiness displays the lifestyle of a single father with no money, Juno leaves nothing out in teen pregnancy, and Rent brutally shows the darker side of contracting HIV and AIDS. There are millions of movies and each one can send out many messages, so to state that all movies today send out messages to encourage having sex at a young age is extreme.

Another point I would like to make is the fact that it is a parent’s responsibility to teach his or her children to practice safe and appropriate sex, not movies. Movies are for audience’s entertainment and not to be viewed as a lesson to learn from. I understand that people act certain ways based off of what they continuously see and if they continually see movies that have promiscuous characters in them then audiences begin to think this is ok. This is especially true if viewers look up to the actors and actresses as well and would like to be them. However, if a teenager is old enough to go see a movie that has promiscuous behavior, then they are old enough to know that it is wrong and inappropriate to act the same. This is where parents must step in and guide their children in the right direction when they begin to stray. There are also other means of media that can influences children and young teenagers in the wrong directions, not just big screen movies. These media’s include television (notably reality television), advertisements, and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment