Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Writing about Learning

Of course you can learn something from an experience or a course. In fact, I’m convinced that those two options are the best, if not some of the only ways, that a person can learn new things. Anyone can tell if they learned something from such examples if, when given the same material later or presented the same situation, they do not make the same mistakes as the last time. This is a great way to measure how much a person has learned because the point of learning is to gain new information in order to be better prepared when shown the material in life. If a person has learned than they will handle what they have previously learned with ease and not make similar mistakes.

I don’t believe it matters whether this learning is transformative or not. Not all learning has to change a person’s opinions on certain ideas and topics. Learning just has to enhance a person’s knowledge not transform this knowledge. I do believe that for certain situations transformative learning can be beneficial to a person if the opinion they believed before was incorrect. Then a change in this incorrect information will enhance this person’s knowledge.

My experiences of learning in school have been both transformative and surface. I believe a mixture of the two is the best way to acquire new information and stay informed. I’m not quite sure what this question, in this part of the prompt, is asking. “Does the evidence you have of your own learning allow it to be communicated to others such as students in the class, or the teacher?’” Is this asking if, as a student, I have opportunities to express what I have learned? If this is in fact what this question is asking then my answer is yes. As a student I am forced to show what I have learned my doing projects, taking exams, and other activities. These are present in a classroom specifically to show teachers whether their teaching is benefiting their students and if they are retaining the material.

As a teacher they express what they have learned through teaching this material. They show their knowledge every day, just as students do, if not more by teaching others. One cannot teach unless they fully comprehend the material they wish to talk about. While students prove what they have learned by taking tests, likewise, teachers show the same thing by making the test to begin with.

Everyone judges the things they learn differently because each student or teacher takes away something different from a lesson based on their personal experiences. I might view a C mark as a poor grade a judge myself on this low mark while the student beside me would think a C is a wonderful grade. I’m also extremely hard on myself when it comes to grades and schooling therefore I don’t think anyone judges this learning by grades in a similar way as me. Of course learning can be taught outside the classroom. When a child goes home and tells their parents what they learned in school that day would be taking the knowledge outside the classroom, which would be the goal of teachers everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Great work with this. As far as that weirdly worded question, you were pretty much on the mark. It was asking about the ways you can successfully show others that you've learned something. Projects and the like are a good example. Helping others when they're confused is another way. Applying what you've learned to something new, or something outside your class, is the best (and most challenging) way. The question asked how you convey your learning to a teacher, but I like what you've said about teachers being learners as well, because it's definitely true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you talked about all different ways of learning, not just stuck to one. This is really good! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great post. It's so true you really do decide if you're actucally going to learn something or not, you decide if it sticks with you or not.

    ReplyDelete