Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Scholarly Article

The two articles I have chosen for the second essay involve recent human evolution. My popular article is from a magazine I physically bought therefore I don’t have a link for it. The link for my scholarly article is:   


Within the past ten years the advances in molecular genetic technology have given way to a major breakthrough in all evolutionary studies but most prominently within the field of human evolution.  New statistics and data on different kinds of DNA variations in human populations have been pouring in and scientists are beginning to understand the importance and value of this variation for future medicine and developmental biology. This also helps scientists fully understand the history of our species. Certain markers, Haploid markers, found on DNA and y chromosomes have proven very valuable in creating the model for evolution of modern humans. Also results from earlier research on specific proteins have been supported by more sophisticated DNA analysis. The evolution of both human genes with language and slowly evolving cultural traits, along with the genetic evolution of some commensal relationships and parasites that have stuck with modern humans since our expansion and movement from Africa to the rest of the world, supports the theory of genetic evolution. This expansion across the globe has caused a sharp increase in the number of modern humans and can be attributed to the gradual sophistication in tools, art, religion, and language since our predecessors. Advances in multidisciplinary research are what make our superior understanding of human’s evolutionary history possible. 

APA Citing:

L. Luca Cavalli-Sforza, Marcus W. Feldman (2003, March 2). The application of molecular genetic approaches to the study of human evolution. Retrieved from http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=11&hid=8&sid=af97f182-3299-4ef3-9ebd-cbcbf86d6de3%40sessionmgr104

I have some concerns about this second essay and the research it involves but as I read my articles more and more I realize that I understand more than I originally thought. I had only skimmed both articles before and came to the hasty conclusion that they were nothing alike and that I would have nothing to discuss in my paper. This was quickly proven untrue when I sat down and really read through each paper. I now know that the reason I thought they were dissimilar was because they talk about different aspects of the same thing. The popular article mentions the noticeable changes in humans brought on by evolution such as skin color or Tibetan people's ability to tolerate high altitudes. The scholarly article discusses the unnoticeable changes that have occurred within the body on DNA strands and proteins. There may be some difficulties in making connections between my two articles because I hardly understand either of them (mostly the scholarly article). The more I read them though the clearer they will become so I am not that concerned. I am actually very pleased to find that each article has the same picture depicting a similar scientific finding just in different formats. The scholarly picture is much more advanced than the popular one which reflects the intended audience’s knowledge. I plan to set up my paper with an introduction, a few body paragraphs, and a conclusion. I will choose a couple main differences, perhaps four, and have those become my body paragraphs.

2 comments:

  1. How are you planning to organize your information? In the last bit in my blog post I went over a few ideas. Is that what you're planning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's definitely an interesting topic, but sounds pretty confusing! I'm glad you understand it more now, maybe we'll be in the same peer review group :) Good luck with the paper!

    ReplyDelete