Saturday, September 25, 2010

Discussion Forum

I don’t really have a very strong opinion of the discussion forum. I neither loved it nor hated it. To me it was just another assignment. I did the required reading and answered the questions that were required. I did think the article was relevant to what we are discussing in class at this time and what our next essay will be on. I feel this next essay will be a lot more challenging than the last due to the new APA format and the citation and paraphrasing requirements. Also I need all the help I can get when it comes to writing about science and picking out topics about science. Therefore, the articles helped me understand how scientific writing can address different audiences and how to interpret this type of writing.

This assignment reminded me of simply blogging our responses to a reading just on moodle instead of in blog form and with fewer words. It seems to be a mix between blogging and posting peer reviews. I did the discussion forum a little later than other students in the class. Instead of being on moodle during the time span of our class on Tuesday I had to do it an hour later which could have affected my experience. I didn’t have a conversation with a classmate because I missed the discussions that took place between five and seven. It might have been more exciting if I had interacted with the other classmates in real time than a couple of hours later. But I did not get this opportunity so the assignment seemed flat and like the others we have done in class.

I wouldn’t mind having more forum discussions in the future. However, I say this with the same attitude as saying I wouldn’t mind having another blog to write.  My in-the-middle opinion about the whole discussion forum is making this blog a little challenging because I do not feel like I have much to say about the matter. I don’t feel that there could be any improvements with the assignment. The concept of the assignment was straightforward and to the point which made it pretty easy. I did have a question on how to post our responses and how to begin a new topic but when I knew the answers to these questions the assignment was normal and simple.

So I have about a hundred words to go. This is a pretty challenging blog this week.  But this is an open blog which is meant to expose true feelings whether those feelings are strong or not. Unfortunately my feelings were not strong about this topic. I did like the discussion forum; don’t think my inability to write five hundred words on the assignment means I didn’t gain anything from the experience. Let’s see, oh, maybe next time we have a discussion forum I will begin a new topic. I will only do this if I feel very strongly about the topic being discussed and have something to add on the matter. Overall, I liked the assignment.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what you were saying about seeing the discussion as an assignment rather than an event. I feel like because it was an assignment we didn't really get as much out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite this being a, what you called, "in-the-middle" opinion, I really enjoyed reading this blog post. I think we have the same exact opinions and feelings on the whole discussion forum. Also, I loved how you mentioned that you have a hundred words to go. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly agree with your blog. The forum discussions are very similar in comparison to the blog posts that we have to do.

    ReplyDelete